What do you do after taking back your yard? Enjoy grilling and eating in a mosquito-free environment, of course! Give this recipe a try:
(makes 5 servings)
For the Kabobs:
- 1 pound sirloin steak, chicken, or shrimp
- 2 large onions cut in large pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced in thick pieces
- 1 yellow squash, sliced in thick pieces
- 2 red or green bell peppers, cut in squares
- 10 cherry tomatoes
For the Marinade:
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade.
- If using red meat or chicken, cut into small cubes. If using shrimp, wash them well, leaving the tails intact.
- Place the meat, chicken or shrimp in a deep dish and cover with the marinade, then place in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Place the meat and vegetables on skewers, alternating colors.
- Preheat grill.
- If you use red meat, your cooking time will be between 12 and 15 minutes. If you use chicken, between 15 to 20 minutes. For the shrimp to cook you will need between 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve the shish-kabobs over a bed of brown rice.